If you need to make tasty candies, then you should constantly check your cooking temperature. To help you achieve the right temperature in every cooking step, you need the best candy thermometer!
Each stage of the procedure requires accuracy or the candy won’t simply come out the way you’d have desired. This is phenomenal skill will undoubtedly boost your results.
Luckily, there is a tool for maintaining temperatures all through the whole candy process, and that tool is a candy thermometer.
The best candy thermometers do not only help the candy maker maintain temperature control in candy making but can be used for other functions as well.
For example, your best candy thermometer can come in handy when measuring the temperature of soft liquids such as milk, butter, or flour.
Additionally, many baking formulas require precision in controlling the temperature of butter, milk to attain a good lot of flavored cakes.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the carefully selected candy thermometers as we find out which ones are best suited for you.
What is Candy Thermometer?
A candy thermometer is also known as a cooking thermometer, a sugar thermometer, or a jam thermometer. It is used to determine the temperature of candy syrups during cooking.
A candy thermometer can also be defined as a thermometer designed for use specifically to ascertain the temperature of a cooking mixture of sugar and water.
Best Candy Thermometers – Comparison
|Oxo Good-Grips Glass Candy Thermometer||-Glass thermometer is offset to allow for large, easy-to-read graphics
-Easy-to-read graphics include temperature ranges for different candy types
-Measurement markings indicate temperature within two degrees in F and C
|Polder THM-515 Candy /Jelly and Deep Fry Thermometer||-6 temperature zones
-Pot Clip Attachment
-TEMPERATURE RANGES in Celsius and Fahrenheit – 90°F to 400°F (30°C to 200°C). Great for making candy melting chocolate, yogurts, creams sauces, jams, deep frying and more.
-DISHWASHER SAFE Rust-resistant stainless steel, top rack only
|Defull Hanging Hook/Pot Clip Candy Thermometer||-Temperature ranges in Celsius (40°C to 200°C) and Fahrenheit (100°F to 400°F).
-Rust-proof stainless steel solid construction, pot clip attachment holds thermometer in place, insulated handled does not retain heat.
|Habor Instant Read Digital Cooking, Candy Thermometer||-4-6 seconds ultra fast response time with accuracy of ±1℃
-he temp Range is -58℉ to 572℉
-detect the core temp of meat; perfect for huge turkey, chicken, bread making, jam making, chocolate making, barbecue, hot water, hot milk, and even bath water
|Digital Candy Thermometer CDN DTC450||-Digital candy thermometer--essential tool for making your favorite sweets
-Large easy-to-read display with temperature range of 40 to 450 degrees F
-Dual progress display; preprogrammed and programmable; auto-off
-Adjustable stainless steel clip; pocket clip; temperature guide on sheath
7 Best Candy Thermometers
There are so many thermometers readily available in the market, these include the best meat smoking thermometers, laser gun thermometers, and even oven thermometers.
Sadly, none of them are the right devices for controlling temperatures in candy or deep-frying, so the results are usually uncertain.
So, which thermometer should you use when making candies?
Well, if you’re looking for the right candy thermometer that best suits you and one that will hold up to regular use, then the Oxo good-grips is the product to go.
The Oxo good-grips glass candy thermometer is balanced to allow for large, easy to read graphics. The candy thermometer measures approximately 16.5 x 4.25 x 1.5- inches in size.
Additionally, the thermometer’s quantification markings are outlined and marked in both Celsius and Fahrenheit. With all this clear, this makes it easy for you to use and it also allows you to find out whether the candy is at the proper temperature.
Consequently, the candy thermometer comes with a convenient clip which is extra-long to make it easy to attach, adjust, and remove.
Additionally, the thermometer comes fitted with a rounded foot, this helps to prevent the sides of the bottom or the sides of the pot.
- It’s a well-constructed candy thermometer
- The glass thermometer is offset to allow for easy to read, large graphics
- The convenient clip is extra –long to make it easy to attach, adjust or remove
- The thermometer comes with a rounded foot which helps to prevent scraping sides or bottom of the pot
- The thermometer is hand wash only, not dishwasher safe
Looking for a candy thermometer that comes with different temperature zones? Then this is your ideal thermometer. The thermometer comes with a programmable temperature range of 32°F to 482°F (0°C to 250°C).
The polder thermometer candy thermometer comes fitted with 6 temperatures zones, printed on display with large and easy to read quick references. This includes deep fry, softball, hardball, soft crack, and hard crack stages.
Besides, the thermometer comes fitted with a pot clip attachment that clips on the side of the pot and securely holds the thermometer in place for precise readings.
The polder candy/jelly and deep fry thermometer also feature an insulated handle that remains cool-to-touch and does not retain heat.
Other unique features of the polder thermometer are that it’s well-constructed with a rust stainless steel body. The thermometer is also dishwasher safe, top rack only.
The polder thermometer is ideal for preparing candy, melting chocolate, creams and sauces, yogurts, jams, and also deep frying.
- The thermometer is pocket friendly
- It functions well
- The device is dishwasher safe
- The thermometer also comes fitted with a stay-cool handle that allows it to be easily removed when you’re done using it.
- The thermometer has a stainless steel body that comes fitted with a pot clip that allows it to be easily attached to the pot.
- The thermometer bulb is not durable
- May be too tall for some pans or smaller quantities of food
- You may want to test its accuracy and calibrate it regularly
The defull thermometer is probably one of the best thermometers you can find in the market today.
The defull thermometer comes fitted with a hook –type handle that enables it to be hanged down the pot. It also comes with a clip that enables it to be attached to the side of a pot.
Consequently, the thermometer has easy-to-read large temperature zones. The temperature ranges are marked in Celsius and Fahrenheit, Celsius (40 degrees Celsius to 200 degrees Celsius), and Fahrenheit (100 degrees Fahrenheit to 400 degrees Fahrenheit).
The defull thermometer is well-constructed with rust-proof stainless steel sold construction. The thermometer also features an insulated handle that retains heat, thus it’s easy to remove it after it’s served the purpose.
The thermometer is approximately 10.59 x 1.9 x 0.36-inches. Its dishwasher safe and is ideal for melting chocolate, cream, sauces, jams, and candy making.
Also, the defull thermometer features a top hanging loop and a built-in clip pot clip that prevents hand burning while cooking.
The thermometer also offers great after-sales service. All defull thermometers come with a 1-year warranty and 30 days refund.
- The thermometer is well constructed with a rust-proof stainless steel body
- The manufacturer offers great after-sales service
- Its dishwasher safe
- The thermometer has easy to read large temperature zones
- The defull thermometer doesn’t take accurate temperatures from the side of a pot as it does from the center of a pot.
If you’re looking for the best candy thermometer that’s best suited for your cooking needs, then the habor instant-read digital thermometer is the best suit fit for you.
It comes with a wide range temperature range of between -58 degrees Fahrenheit and 572 degrees Fahrenheit for all your cooking needs.
Also, the habor thermometer comes with 4-6 seconds ultra-fast response with an accuracy of 1 degree Celsius. This takes out the guesswork and prevents under cooked or overdone food ensuring that you obtain the best flavor.
The habor instant thermometer is also easy to use. All you got to do is simply insert it into your food, or liquid and get the correct temperature reading.
Additionally, the thermometer comes with a protective case that is easy to store and carry around. It comes with a 10-minute auto-shutoff function which helps to extend your battery life.
To extend the lifespan of your thermometer, always ensure you remove it from the food when you’re done reading the temperatures.
- The thermometer comes with -58 degrees Fahrenheit
- It comes with an auto shut-off function to preserve its battery life
- The habor thermometer comes with three-year limited warranty
- The thermometer gives a reading between 4 and 6 seconds when placed in food
- The battery case may not fit tightly or securely
- The thermometer is not designed to stay ‘in-pan’ during cooking
- Risk of temperature variations
The digital candy is an awesome thermometer that comes with a temperature range of 40 degrees Fahrenheit to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
The thermometer is ideal for deep frying and candy preparation.
The digital candy thermometer features an alarm that beeps before and during target temperature. It also comes with a large easy to read display.
Additionally, the thermometer comes fitted with an adjustable clip to fix to your pan and a pocket clip.
The thermometer is hand washes only. It is made with 304 stainless steel.
The digital candy thermometer also features an auto shut-off function which helps to extend the battery life span.
- The thermometer comes with a temperature range of 40 degrees Fahrenheit to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It’s a digital candy and deep-fry thermometer
- It comes with an audible alarm
- The thermometer features easy to read display
- It comes fitted with pre-set and user programs
- The thermometer comes with an auto shut-off which helps to extend the battery lifespan
- There is always the risk of battery run down during use
- The digital candy thermometer does not come with re-calibration instructions
Taylor precision products classic line candy thermometer boasts of a temperature range of between 100 degrees Fahrenheit and 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
The traditional style tempered glass thermometer also contains a blue safe liquid which is easy to read through the magnifying tube. There can be a likelihood for the inner tube to liquidize, which can make it strenuous to read while in use.
Additionally, the thermometer comes fitted with an adjustable pan clip and a protective sheath which is set in print with a reference temperature guide.
Like with any other candy thermometer, it’s always important to do a calibration test with boiling water or ice.
The Taylor precision thermometer can be cleaned by wiping with a damp cloth, then ensure that you dry it nicely.
- The thermometer comes with a food-safe liquid that is easy to read through the magnifying tube.
- The device comes with 100 degrees Fahrenheit to 400 degrees temperature range
- It’s fitted with an adjustable pan clip
- The thermometer also comes fitted with a protective sleeve printed with a temperature reference guide
- The thermometer also comes with a pan that adjusts to fit any pan
- The tube may not be thoroughly sealed and so allow liquids in
- The thermometer can condense up when in use
PBKay digital cooking candy liquid thermometer is a stainless steel probe that can give a temperature reading in 6 to 8 seconds.
Additionally, the thermometer comes fitted with an adjustable pan clip that allows you to fix it to the pan during the entire cooking process.
Consequently, the PBKay digital cooking candy liquid thermometer also features a 15 minutes auto shut-off capacity to extend the battery life.
Also, the PBKay digital thermometer can measure temperatures from 58 degrees Fahrenheit to 572 degrees Fahrenheit. The device is powered by the LR44 button battery and it also comes with a lifetime warranty.
- The digital thermometer comes fitted with an adjustable pan clip that allows you to fix the pan during the entire cooking process.
- It comes with an auto shut-off function to preserve battery life
- It comes with a lifetime warranty
- It’s a digital thermometer which comes with a stainless steel probe
- The thermometer can measure temperatures from 58 degrees Fahrenheit to 572 degrees Fahrenheit
- The digital component of this thermometer may need careful handling as it can be fragile
- No backlight on the LCD which can make it difficult for you to read
- You may want to regularly calibrate your thermometer for accurate temperatures
Best Candy Thermometer- Buying Guide
If you intend to buy the best candy thermometer, then you should check out a few features to ensure that you get optimum performance. This section offers you tips on what to consider when shopping for your best candy thermometer.
Different Types of Candy Thermometers
- Traditional Bulb Style Thermometers
These kinds of thermometers are pocket friendly.
However, these thermometers are susceptible to precipitation on the inside of the tube which can make them hard to read. These devices can also break easily.
Traditional bulb style thermometers also have sharp edges, crannies, and nooks. This may cause candy lucent to form and affect the full quantity of a mixture.
- Dial Style Thermometers
These types of thermometers are manually calibrated. Their thinner steel probes make it easier for the user to keep it out of the way when stirring your mixture.
With a dial style thermometer, it only gives room to mark a few key temperature points.
- The Steel Candy Thermometer
The steel candy thermometer remains attached to the side of the pot throughout the entire cooking process.
However, the steel candy thermometer can be a bit slow, and can quickly fall out of scale. So, always ensure you add enough mixture in the pot to fully cover its bulb and base.
- Digital Thermometers
Digital thermometers are high-cost devices. The digital thermometers come with automatic technology for your food processing.
Additionally, the digital thermometers also come fitted with audible alarms that beep when the mixture nears its temperatures. Some digital thermometers also offer a much faster reading than manual thermometers.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Candy Thermometer
- Thermometer Mobility
When buying a candy thermometer, it’s always good to ensure that it can be used in more than one location. Some candy thermometers can only be fixed to the side of the pan, but may not be accurate as when the thermometer is placed in the center of the mixture
Most candy thermometers are more accurate when placed in the middle of the mixture. So when buying a candy thermometer, always ensure it can be placed on different locations of your pan.
- Thermometer Accuracy
The most essential factor to consider when selecting a new candy thermometer is the accuracy of the device. Most candy thermometers are not completely accurate, but some of them come close to being accurately perfect.
Always consider a thermometer that’s calibrated within a +/-4-degree Fahrenheit range, with this you can almost be sure that the thermometer is pretty accurate. If you find a candy thermometer that does not show its accuracy range, then that might not be the best fit for you.
- Easy-To-Read Gauge
Another factor you should consider when choosing the right candy thermometer is how easy the gauge is to read. Always choose a thermometer that’s easy to read even without removing it from the mixture for you to read.
Always ensure you choose a thermometer that clearly shows temperatures in both Celsius and Fahrenheit. Also, consider large designs that consist of a large evaluation gauge with clear temperature imprints.
Best Candy Thermometer Care Tips
- Always ensure you test the thermometer before use by placing it in boiling water. If the temperature is not 212 degrees Fahrenheit, then it’s not well set, so ensure you set it accordingly.
- Clean your candy thermometer before use and after use
- Avoid placing your candy thermometer in a dishwasher
- Store your thermometer in a safe place when not in use
Best Candy Thermometer – The Bottom Line
In this article, we have reviewed some of the best candy thermometers that are currently available in the market today. We’ve also discussed the various pros and cons of each candy thermometer.
Although you may depend on cold water for testing sweets, a candy thermometer is always important to have with you.
Also if you are new in the production of candy, then till you get used to the various candy stages, a candy thermometer will help you to be sure you’re doing it in the right way possible.
As such, you should get one today and revolutionize your candy cooking process. It will certainly get better with the best candy thermometer!
We hope that this article will make it easier for you in choosing the right candy thermometer to ensure your chocolate is on point or your peanut brittle remains smooth all the way.