An electric skillet is one of the most versatile cooking appliances you’ll ever get! If you recently acquired one, you can be sure that your cooking experience will change for the better.
So, what can I cook in an electric skillet?
Well, you can cook multiple dishes ranging from meat, vegetarian dishes, pasta, and many other side dishes!
Yes, this versatile cooking appliance will help you experiment with many recipes with minimal disappointments.
This article answers the “what can I cook in an electric skillet” conclusively. You’ll get tips on how to use the skillet and various recipes you can try with the appliance.
What is an Electric Skillet
If you love convenience when cooking, then you should get yourself an electric skillet. This is a frying/ cooking pan that uses electricity.
All you’ll be required to do is plug in your electric skillet into your power source and voila! You start your cooking escapades without any hassle.
Unlike traditional cooking pans, you’ll not require a stovetop to accomplish your cooking task. In fact, some electric skillets come with a heating surface for guaranteed efficiency.
What to Consider When Buying an Electric Skillet
If you’ve decided that you want an electric skillet, you should always consider a few factors to ensure that you only settle for the best.
Size of your Electric Skillet
Your best electric skillet should always cook enough meals for your family. Luckily, there are different sizes available in the market today.
Some skillets will offer additional features that will make cooking easier and more fulfilling. The features may include automated temperature control features and timers.
If you’d love to have easy control of your cooking escapades, then you can settle for automated electric skillets. They feature simple one-touch buttons and easy-to-read timers, which will eliminate any worries of overcooking.
Material of Construction
Electric skillets are available in different materials. The one you choose depends on your needs and preferences. Here are the most common materials used in electric skillet construction:
- Cast Iron Electric Skillets. These are some of the most inexpensive and efficient electric skillets in the market. If you fail to pre-season them well, they can be relatively hard to maintain. Fortunately, some of the most common brands such as the Lodge Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet are pres-seasoned, thus making your maintenance work easier. Additionally, these skillets have a natural non-stick coating.
- Aluminum Electric Skillets. Aluminum is one of the most widely used materials for skillet construction. A majority of these skillets are also covered using a non-stick coating (usually Teflon or ceramic). If you buy one with Teflon coating, you should be careful not to use a metal spatula lest you remove the coating. Also, you should never use the pan with temperatures exceeding 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Nonstick Stainless Steel Skillets. Stainless steel skillet with non-stick coating requires optimum care to ensure that you avoid wearing off of the coating. Unless following the manufacturer’s advice, you should avoid using a dishwasher. Additionally, avoid using temperatures exceeding 400 F.
- Ceramic Electric Skillets. These skillets are warp-proof and offer exciting cooking experiences. It has nonstick surfaces to ensure that you cook your food without the stress of food sticking on the surface.
- Copper Electric Skillets. These skillets heat fast and evenly. However, they equally lose heat fast! As such, the appliances are highly useful when cooking food that doesn’t require long consistent heating, such as seafood and other delicate protein sources.
Whichever electric skillet you select, ensure that it has a warranty. Additionally, it has a detailed user instructions book. You should follow all the recommendations to the letter.
Electric Skillet Recipes
Like earlier indicated, electric skillets are versatile and you can cook virtually anything with them. This section gives a few recipes to consider:
Top 5 Electric Skillet Recipes to Try
Electric Skillets Appetizers Recipes
Before you start enjoying your main dish, you can prepare a few side dishes and appetizers using your best electric skillet. Here are several of the appetizer recipes to consider.
1. Crimini Mushrooms
This is a unique side dish meal that combines mushrooms, soy sauce, and chicken broth. Its composition ensures that you don’t get too full but rather boost your appetite.
What you Need
- Crimini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Approximately 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- Clean your mushroom using a damp sponge (preferred method). Alternatively, you can wash them using clean water
- Slice the crimini mushrooms into 4 pieces
- Add your butter to your electric skillet and let it melt on medium heat
- Add you mushrooms and saute them for approximately 10 minutes while stirring regularly
- Add you chicken broth and soy sauce and stir
- Cook for 10 more minutes
- Serve while hot
This menu is enough to serve 4 people.
2. Chicken Fajitas with Creamy Vegetables
This recipe requires approximately 50 minutes. The ingredients below are ideal for cooking a meal for six.
What You Need
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of cumin
- 3 limes (for lime juice)
- Crushed Red Pepper (use pepper millers)
- Approximately 1 pound of chicken breasts
- An onion
- Mix the olive oil, cumin, lime juice, and paper in a bowl
- Season your chicken breast with salt and pepper. Add it to the bowl
- Refrigerate it for 1 hour
- Heat your oil in an electric skillet and add your chicken
- Stir it slowly until ready. Serve while hot
3. Steak and Potato Toast
What you Need
- Boneless beef steak
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- Freshly grated horseradish
- 20 ml (2 tablespoons) of white/red wine
- Olive oil
- 1 pound thinly sliced potatoes
- Parsley leaves
- To season your steak, add salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix the spices and add vinegar. Mix the meat and let it sit for some time.
- In your electric skillet, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and let it heat over medium to high heat
- Add your steak and let it cook for 15 minutes
To cook your potatoes, you should follow the following steps:
- In a clean skillet, add 2 teaspoons of olive oil and heat over medium heat
- Add your potatoes and let them cook until they are tender and brown
- Season the potatoes with black pepper and salt to your liking. Top them with cream mixed with parsley/rosemary herbs
4. Appetizer Meatballs -Sweet and Sour
Meatballs offer one of the most versatile side dishes ever. The versatility allows you to make them sour or sweet to suit your desires.
Even better, cooking meatballs requires a few ingredients and has a straightforward cooking process.
What You Need
- 2 eggs
- Lean minced beef
- Spices (garlic, lemon juice, chili sauce, and pepper)
- Bread crumbs
- Mix all the ingredients and form them into balls of your ideal size
- Place some butter in your electric skillet and let it simmer in low heat until fully melted
- Place the balls in the electric skillet and let it simmer for approximately 30 minutes
- Once they’ve browned, remove them from the electric skillet and serve
5. Electric Skillet Steak and Mushroom
This is a unique meal that requires you to have an oven-safe skillet. It produces an unforgettable taste that’ll leave you tantalized.
What You Need
- 10 ounces of boneless beef
- 5 ounces of broccoli rabe
- Frozen peas
- Fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- Salt and 1 tablespoon of mustard
- I cup of beef broth
- Cut the beef into sizable pieces (preferably 1 inch thick) and season it with your spices
- Preheat your oven to approximately 350 degrees Fahrenheit and cut your mushrooms into large pieces
- Set you skillet temperature to Medium-High and heat your oil
- Add your beef and broccoli rabe and cook for approximately 4 minutes
- Place your frozen peas around the meat and place your skillet in the oven. Cook the meat until it browns
- Remove it from the oven and add your mushrooms. Cook it using electricity for approximately 5 minutes
- In a glass dish, mix the mustard, beef broth, salt, and cornstarch. Add the mixture to the skillet and cook until you achieve a thick broth.
- Serve with veggies
Whenever you’re cooking your meals, you should feel free to use your ideal spices. Also, ensure that you only add spices to your liking but follow the cooking procedure provided.
What Can I Cook in an Electric Skillet – the Bottom Line
If you’re wondering what to cook in your electric skillet, then this article is for you. We have compiled the top 5 recipes that will leave your guests mesmerized at your cooking expertise.
If you’ve recently bought an electric skillet and the question “what can I cook in an electric skillet” keeps lingering in your mind, then you’re sorted!
Even better, this article highlights several materials that can be used in the construction of electric skillets. The guide comes in handy to ensure that you have an easy time when shopping for the best electric skillet.
We implore you to read through the recipes and implement them. Your cooking will be better than it has ever been! Whether it is the main meal, breakfast, or side dishes, you won’t go wrong with these recipes.